• 0回复

[研水吧]考试中心模拟题之(7) [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题
离线ligangaq

只看楼主 倒序阅读 0  发表于: 2006-10-06
— 本帖被 htcm 从 考研资料收集发布区 移动到本区(2017-02-12) —
Section I   Use of English :~otzI4%!  
Directions: 5MVa;m  
Read the following text. Choose the best word(s)for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points) hx9{?3#  
    Black death that drove Newton from his college and into a momentous discovery, 1 England in 1665. Astronomical records of the time show that 2 was a year of intense sunspot activity, and studies of annual tree 3 , which are wider when the sun is disturbed, 4 that the terrible plague of 1348 was   5   --WQr]U/  
accompanied by an active sun. /K#k_k  
    This sounds incredible,   6 we now have evidence that the sun has a direct effect on some of our body   7 . Over 120 000 tests were made on people in a Black Sea 8 to measure the number of lymphocytes in their blood. These small cells normally       9   between 20 and 25 percent of man's white blood cells, but in years of great solar activity this 10 decreases. There was a big drop during the sunspot years of 1986 and 1987, and number of I8Aq8XBw  
people 11 from diseases caused by a lymphocyte deficiency   12 doubled during the tremendous solar explosion of February 1986. _~z oMdT!  
  Many of the body's 13 seem to be influenced by sun-induced changes in the earth's magnetic 14 . If this is so, one 15 to find that the nervous system, which depends on electrical stimuli, would be the most 16 . A study of 5 580 coal-mine accidents 17 the Ruhr river shows that most occurred on the day following solar activity. Studies of traffic accidents in Russia and in Germany show that these increase, by as much as four 18 the average, on days after the 19 of a solar flare. This suggests that accidents may be 20 a disturbance deeper than a simple decrease in reaction time. These results make it clear that man in, among other things, a remarkably sensitive living sundial. *4}_2"[  
1. [A] blanketed     [B] swept   [C] covered   [D] spread Co1d44Q  
2. [A] this     [B] such     [C] so       [D] either e$J>z {  
3. [A] rings     [B] cycles   [C] circles   [D] rounds C^L+R7  
4. [A] survey   [B] reveal   [C] predict   [D] release M]s\F(*ib  
5. [A] still     [B] even     [C] then     [D] also pR61bl)  
6. [A] but     [B] because   [C] unless   [D] when cLV*5?gVO  
7. [A] chemistry [B] construction [C] physiology [D] constitution <E2 IU~e  
8. [A] retreat   [B] reserve   [C] resort     [D] refuge e$Ksn_wEq  
9. [A] put in   [B] take over   [C] make up   [D] set off \baY+,Dr+  
10. [A] number   [B] figure   [C] share     [D] proportion zmo2uUEd  
11. [A] suffered   [B] suffer   [C] suffering   [D] to suffer d=D-s  
12. [A] unexpectedly [B] actually [C] disappointedly [D] practically  T Rv  
13. [A] performances [B] operations [C] functions [D] workings =SJ#6uFS  
14. [A] environment   [B] field   [C] layer   [D] shell 8K,X3a9  
15. [A] would expect [B] expects [C] expect   [D] expected h p]J> i.  
16. [A] affected   [B] respected [C] protected   [D] connected >Zb!?ntN`t  
17. [A] beside     [B] at       [C] by     [D] on i g(O$y  
18. [A] times above [B] time     [C] times in   [D]times k =5k)} i  
19. [A] formation   [B] explosion   [C] eruption   [D]propulsion 50cVS)hG6d  
20. [A] due to     [B] apt for   [C] all but   [D] prior to '^UHY[mX8  
.d<K`.O ;  
tF:AnNp=  
Section II Reading Comprehension o-\h;aQJ  
Part A <Ht"t]u*Bn  
Directions: ?9`j1[0  
Read the following four texts. Answer the questions below each text by choosing A, B, C or D. Mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1. (40 points) YO$Ig:a#  
8!E.3'jb  
Text 1 IRN,=  
  Over the last decade, demand for the most common cosmetic surgery procedures, like breast enlargements and nose jobs, has increased by more than 400 percent. According to Dr. Dai Davies, of the Plastic Surgery Parmership in Hammersmith, the majority of cosmetic surgery patients are not chasing physical perfection. Rather, they are driven to fantastic lengths to improve their appearance by a desire to look normal. "What we all crave is to look normal, and normal is what is prescribed by the advertising media and other external pressures. They give uslook like that. 'Aq^ z%|  
    In America, the debate is no longer about whether surgery is normal; rather, it centers on what age people should be before going under the knife. New York surgeon Dr. Gerard Imber P([!psgu  
recommends "maintenance" work for people in their thirties. "The idea of waiting until oneneeds a heroic transformation is silly," he says. "By then, you've wasted 20 great years of yourlife and allowed things to get out of hand." Dr. Imber draws the lino at operating on people who are under 18, however, "It seems that someone we don't consider old enough to order a drink shouldn't be considering plastic surgery." 5#GMp  
    In the UK cosmetic surgery has long been seen as the exclusive domain of the very rich and famous. But the proportionate cost of treatment has fallen substantially, bringing all but the most C%z)D1-  
advanced laser technology within the reach of most people. Dr. Davies, who claims to "cater for the average person", agrees. He says: "I treat a few of the rich and famous and an awful lot of Tqt- zX|>  
secretaries. Of course, £3, 000 for an operation is a lot of money. But it is also an investment for life which costs about halfthe price of a good family holiday." ;z'&$#pA  
  Dr. Davies suspects that the increasing sophistication of the fat injecting and removal techniques that allow patients to be treated with a local anaesthetic in an afternoon has also helped promote the popularity of cosmetic surgery. Yet, as one women who recently paid £2,500for liposuction to remove fat from her thighs admitted, the slope to becoming a cosmetic surgery Veteran is a deceptively gentle one. "I had my legs done because they'd been bugging me for years. But going into the clinic was so low key and effective it whetted my appetite. Now I don't think there's any operation that I would rule out having if I could afford it." 8ymdg\I+L  
BJjic%V  
21. According to the text, the reason for cosmetic surgery is to B[N]=V  
  [A] be physically healthy. ~/L:$  
  [B] look more normal. w?ugZYwX*  
  [C] satisfy appetite. .C'\U[A{  
  [D] be accepted by media. J :O!4gI  
22. According to the third paragraph, Dr. Davies implies that l77 -I:  
  [A] cosmetic surgery, though costly, is worth having. =A'>1N  
  [B] cosmetic surgery is too expensive. Fi i(dmn  
  [C] cosmetic surgery is necessary even for the average person. # EvRm  
  [D] cosmetic surgery is mainly for the rich and famous. 7m2iL#5[  
23. The statement "draws the line at operating on people" (para. 2) is closest in meaning to 1#vu)a1+b  
[A] removing wrinkles from the face. 287j,'vR  
[B] helping people make up. ^B<-.(F  
[C] enjoying operating. t\M6 d6  
[D] refusing to operate. eC-&.Fl  
24. It can be inferred from the text that  NNt n  
[A] it is wise to have cosmetic surgery under 18. "V[j&B)P  
[B] cosmetic surgery is now much easier. w!m4>w  
[C] people tend to abuse cosmetic surgery. L]=]/>jQ6  
[D] the earlier people have cosmetic surgery, the better they will be. YK/? mj1x  
25. The text is mainly about ji/`OS-iq  
  [A] the advantage of having cosmetic surgery. }F>RI jj  
  [B] what kind of people should have cosmetic surgery. s~Eo]e  
  [C] the reason why cosmetic surgery is so popular. k=s^-Eiu  
[D] the disadvantage of having cosmetic surgery. t/[2{'R4  
k8s)PN  
Text 2 jr` swyg  
In nature as in culture, diversity can be a difficult concept. Understanding it is one thing, accepting it another, especially when diversity means not only acknowledging a pre-existing !]F`qS>  
mixture of difference--the very ampleness of the world--but also accommodating an adjustment to the existing state of things. A case in point is the reintroduction of gray wolves in o@)Fy51DD  
Yellowstone national Park. Thirty-three wolves were released in 1995, and their number has now reached 97. Population expansion is one measure of the wolf program's success, but a better one is the wolves' impact on the natural diversity of the park. b 7sfr!t_d  
    Typically, a pack of the Yellowstone wolves kills a big deer very few days. But over the remains the wolves abandon, a wonderful new diversity has emerged. Since their arrival, wolves have killed many of the park's coyotes ( 郊郎), a smaller kind of wolf. The reduction in coyotes has caused an increase in rodents such as mice, rabbits and squirrels, which also benefits a wide range of predators. Even the coyotes that live at the margins of wolf country have prospered, W>jKWi,{  
thanks to the leftovers the wolves leave behind. So do grizzly bears, which feed on wolf-kilted deer before beginning hibernation or winter sleep. QRju9x  
    What has interested scientists is the swiftness, the dynamism, of this shift in diversity. There has been, however, no matching dynamism in the opinion of humans who oppose the wolf reintroduction. That was made plain by a Federal district judge's recent order to "remove" the wolves, the result ora legal process that is the offspring of inflexibility. Several livestock groups, including the Wyoming Farm Bureau, had filed a suit that urged, in slightly cleverer terms, the old proposition, no wolves, no problems. Several environmental groups had flied a separate lawsuit--unconnected to the Yellowstone wolves--protesting the dropping of legal protection for wolves that were recolonizing Idaho. The two suits were unfortunately merged. `y>m >j  
    Though Judge William Downes stayed his own decision, pending appeal, his judgment is a sad encouragement to the mistaken defensiveness of most ranchers or cattle farmers. It is also a misunderstanding of the purpose of the environmentalists' suit. His decision needs to be swiftly hkPMu@BI  
and decisively overturned on appeal. It is no exaggeration to say that since the return of the wolves, Yellowstone has witnessed an economy of diversity from which human culture--including the culture of ranching---can directly profit, if only it chooses to do so. Nw"df=,{  
;P S4@,  
26. Since the arrival of 33 wolves in the Yellowstone National Park, #(tdJ<HvC|  
  [A]. a dynamic biological chain has started to function z4YDngf=4  
  [B]. animals kept in the park have had enough food ntIR#fB  
  [C]. some animals that are not wanted have been vanishing /dCsZA  
  [D]. the attraction of the park is greatly increased EID-ROMO  
27. The author thinks it unfortunate that the judge should F$UL.`X _/  
[A]. make efforts to accept suits with regard to old issues. 1)~|{X+~  
[B]. make use of legal means to protect his own interests. OC&BJNOi  
[C], mix up two irrelevant suits and make wolves the victims. -C2!`/U  
[D]. support the protest against canceling legal protections for wolves. #w;"s*  
28. The author believes that Judge William Downes was obviously on the side of :Racu;xf  
[A]. the Yellowstone Park 3eUi9_s+  
[B]. livestock groups )<QX2~m<  
[C]. environmental groups ~>@~ U]  
[D]. federal laws -8)Hulo/{U  
29. Commenting on the Yellowstone Park wolf program, the author ef'kG"1  
  [A]. urges the district judge to reverse his recent order. /` M#  
  [B]. criticizes the attitude of environmental groups. e#oK% {A  
  [C]. calls on the people to protect wolves everywhere ;r@=[h   
  [D]. speaks for the interests of most cattle farmers. 7&id(&y/  
30. According to the author, the protection of wolves will {iyJ HY  
  [A]. bring about an economic boom to the surrounding farms and ranches QvbH " 7  
  [B]. cause bigger losses of livestock to the Park's neighboring farms "}X+vd``  
  [C]. lead to a number of controversies in the society vd%AV(]<LJ  
[D]. prove to be beneficial to all parties concerned "nz\YQdg  
r5gqRh}+  
Text 3 x_3B) &9  
    Vinton Cerf, known as the father of the Intemet, said on Wednesday that the Web was outgrowing the planet Earth and the time had come to take the information superhighway to outer space. &$XTe2  
    "The Intemet is growing quickly, and we still have a lot of work to do to cover the planet," Cerf told the first day of the annual conference of the Intemet Society in Geneva where more ? l~qb]._  
than 1,500 cyberspace fans have gathered to seek answers to questions about the tangled web of the Intemet. :Quep-:fy<  
    Cerf believed that it would soon be possible to send real-time science data on the Intemet from a space mission orbiting another planet such as Mars. "There is now an effort under way to #H6YI3 `G  
design and build an interplanetary Intemet. The space research community is coming closer and closer and merging. We think that we will see interplanetary Intemet networks that look very much like the ones we use today. We will need interplanetary gateways and there will be protocols to transmit data between these gateways," Cerf said. V?OTP&+J%  
    Francois Fluckiger, a scientist attending the conference from the European Particle Physics Laboratory near Geneva, was not entirely convinced, saying: "We need dreams like this. But I don't know any Martian whom I'd like to communicate with through the Intemet." |M?s[}ll  
    Cerf has been working with NASA's Pasadena Jet Propulsion Laboratory--the people behind the recent Mars expedition--to design what he calls an "interplanetary Intemet protocol." He believes that astronauts will want to use the Intemet, although special problems remain with interference and delay. ,=e.Q AF!"  
    "This is quite real. The effort is becoming extraordinarily concrete over the next few months because the next Mars mission is in planning stages now," Cerf told the conference. -3ePCAtXbe  
    "If we use domain names like Earth or Mars...jet propulsion laboratory people would be coming together with people from the Intemet community." He added. {` ):X_$T  
    "The idea is to take the interplanetary Intemet design and make it a part of the infrastructure of the Mars mission." yV`Tw"p  
    He later told anews conference that designing this system now would prepare mankind for future technological advances. GJdL1ptc  
    "The whole idea is to create an architecture so the design woks anywhere. I don't know where we're going to have to put it but my guess is that we'll be going out there some time," Cerf said. S:{xx`6K  
      "If you think 100 years from now, it is entirely possible that what will be purely research 50 years from now will become commercial 100 years from now. The Internet was the same-----it `\@n&y[`7  
started as pure research but now it is commercialized." Lx_Jw\YO  
31. Which of the following is the main point of the text? qb;b.P?~D$  
    [A] The development of the intemet. @tSB^&jUWu  
    [B] The possibility of space research. ASdW!4.p  
    [C] Universal information superhighway. w<~[ad}  
    [D] The technological advances of Mars mission. P<>NV4  
32. From the text, we learn that Vinton Cerfis o_}?aI~H  
[A] seeking answers to questions about the intemet web. Z,p@toj'  
[B] working on interplanetary intemet with collaborations of NASA. 4M%|N  
[C] trying to commercialize the interplanetary intemet. /,S VG1  
[D] exploring the possibility of establishing intemet network on Mars. qUfoEpW2=6  
33. We know from the text that Mars mission is j3 &q?1  
[A] one of NASA's intemet projects: "$N$:B@U  
[B] an expedition to Mars. jOCV )V9}  
[C] the infrastructure of the interplanetary intemet. F=Xb_Gd`  
[D] to create an architecture on Mars.. 8GBKFNR 8  
34. According to Cerf, the purpose to design interplanetary intemet is to E q4tcZ  
[A] send real-time science data. #6a!OQj  
[B] communicate with astronauts. J#Q>dC7  
[C] lay foundation for future technological advances. "O r1 f C  
[D] commercialize it. gdCit-3  
35. It can be inferred from the last paragraph that H*G(`Zl}  
[A] the dream to build interplanetary intemet can be fulfilled in the future. }bRn&)e  
[B] interplanetary intemet will commercialized in 100 years. I Tl>HlS  
[C] the research of intemet took 50 years. p9jC- &:  
[D] it will take a long time to build interplanetary intemet. yT:2*sZRc  
WZ`i\s1#  
gaC4u,Zb  
Text 4 Qq6'[Od  
dG+$!*6Z  
  Material culture refers to the touchable, material "things"--Physical objects that can be seen, held, felt, used--that a culture produces. Examining a culture's tools and technology can E!ZLVR.K  
tell us about the group's history and way of life. Similarly, research into the material culture of music can help us to understand the music-culture. The most vivid body of "thing" in it, of course, are musical instruments. We cannot hear for ourselves the actual sound of any musical performance before the 1870s when the phonograph was invented, so we rely on instruments for important information about music-cultures in the remote past and their development. Here we have two kinds of evidence: instruments well preserved and instruments pictured in art. Through the study of instruments, as well as paintings, written documents, and so on, we can explore the movement of music from the Near East to China over a thousand years ago, or we can outline the spread of Near Eastern influence to Europe that resulted in the development of most of the instruments on the symphony orchestra. X> 98`  
  Sheet music or printed music, too, is material culture. Scholars once defined folk music-cultures as those in which people learn and sing music by ear rather than from print, but research shows mutual influence among oral and written sources during the past few centuries in Europe, Britain and America. Printed versions limit variety because they tend to standardize any oAifM1*0  
song, yet they stimulate people to create new and different songs. Besides, the ability to read music notation has a far-reaching effect on musicians and, when it becomes widespread, on the music-culture as a whole. k>i`G5Dh  
  Music is deep-rooted in the cultural background that fosters it. We now pay more and more attention to traditional or ethnic features in folk music and are willing to preserve the fold music as we do with many traditional cultural heritage. Musicians all over the world are busy with recording classic music in their country for the sake of their unique culture. As always, people's |(l]X r&O  
aspiration will always focus on their individuality rather than universal features that are shared by all cultures alike. Y'000#+  
  One more important part of music's material culture should be singled out: the influence of the electronic media--radio, record player, tape recorder, and television, with the future promising talking and singing computers and other developments. This is all part of the "information-revolution", a twentieth-centm'y phenomenon as important as the industrial revolution in the nineteenth. These electronic media are not just limited to modem nations; they have affected music cultures all over the globe. :ek^M (  
q{V e%8$"  
36. Which of the following does not belong to material culture? p5qfv>E8)  
  [A] Instruments. &_]G0~e  
  [B] Music. ^X6e\]yj  
  [C] Paintings. #9s)fR  
  [D] Sheet music. {Y/0BS2D  
37. The word "phonograph" (line 7, Paragraph 1) most probably means i+5Qs-dHA  
  [A] record player. 6Br^Ugy  
  [BI radio. ;ZuHv  {=  
  [C] musical technique. _1RvK? ;.{  
  [D] music culture. E5A"sB   
38. The main idea of the first paragraph is 3f$n8>mq  
    [A] the importance of cultural tools and technology. s#<fj#S  
    [B] the cultural influence of the development of civilization. t{B@k[|  
    [C] the focus of the study of the material culture of music. Z^Um\f   
    [D] the significance of the research into the musical instruments. Z796;qk  
39. Which of the following is not an advantage of printed music? u[KxI9Q  
  [A] Reading of music notation has a great impact on musicians. s[a\m,  
  [B] People may draw inspiration from it. G0m$bi=z  
  [C] the music culture will be influenced by it in the end. CT_tJ  
  [D] Songs tend to be standardized by it. v6DjNyg<x  
40. From the third paragraph, we may infer that >l8?B L  
  [A] traditional cultural heritage is worthy of preservation. qi/k`T   
  [B] the universal features shared by all cultures aren't worthy of notice. J|hVD  
  [C] musicians pay more attention to the preservation of traditional music `3jwjy| 5  
  [D] the more developed a culture, the more valuable the music it has fostered. I++ Le%w  
.Y2Hd$rs  
wEq&O|Vj  
Part B #5h_{q4l  
Directions: L8n?F#q  
In the following article, some sentences have been removed. For Questions 41--45, choose the most suitable one from the list A--G to fit into each of the numbered blank. There are two extra choices that do not fit in any of the gaps: Mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points) SVZ@'X\[M  
HUMANS like to regard themselves as exceptional. Other animals do not have complex, syntactical languages. Nor do most of them appear to enjoy the same level of consciousness that people do. And many philosophers believe humans are the only species which understands that others have their own personal thoughts. That understanding is known in the trade as having a "theory of mind", and it is considered the gateway to such cherished human qualities as empathy and deception. 66-\}8f8a  
  41)                                   y$nI? :d  
  In the Proceedings of the Royal Society, Bernd Heinrich and Thomas Bugnyar of the University of Vermont, in Burlington, describe a series of experiments they have carried out on ravens. They wanted to see how these birds, which are known to be (at .least by avian standards) both clever and sociable, would respond to human gaze. iVnMn1h  
  42)                                   {/)i}V#RE  
  To test whether ravens could follow gaze, Dr Heinrich and Dr Bugnyar used six six-month-old hand-reared ravens, and one four-year-old. The birds were sat, one at a time, on a perch on one side of a room divided by a barrier. An experimenter sat about a metre in front of the barrier. The experimenter moved his head and eyes in a particular direction and gazed for 30 seconds before looking away. Sometimes he gazed up, sometimes to the part of the room where the bird sat, and sometimes to the part of the room hidden behind the barrier. The experimentwas videotaped. 43)                                   . In the latter case, the curious birds either jumped down from the perch and walked around the barrier to have a look or leapt on top of it and peered over. There was never anything there, but they were determined to see for themselves. vN v'%;L  
  A   suggestive   result,   but   not,   perhaps,   a conclusive   one.   44)                         H!0m8LCnb  
  In this case, the observation was pleasantly unexpected. Dr Bugnyar was conducting an experiment designed to see what ravens learn from each other while foraging. While doing so he noticed strange interactions between two males, Hugin, a subordinate bird, and Munin, a dominant one. Z&?4<-@6\p  
  45)                                   . The subordinate male was far better at this task than the dominant. However, he never managed to gulp down more than a few pieces of the reward before the dominant raven, Munin, was hustling him on his way. Clearly (and not unexpectedly) ravens are able to learn about food sources from one another. They are also able to bully each other to gain access to that food. U/PNEGuQ  
  But then something unexpected happened. Hugin, the subordinate, tried a new strategy. As soon as Munin bullied him, he headed over to a set of empty containers, prised the lids off them enthusiastically, and pretended to eat. Munin followed, whereupon Hugin returned to the loaded containers and ate his fill. %CYo, e  
:FU?vh$)  
[A] Response to gaze is reckoned to be a good measure of the development of theory of mind in human children. By about 18 months of age most children are able to follow the gaze of another @i> r(X  
person, and infer things about the gazer from it. Failure to develop this trick is an early symptom of autism, a syndrome whose main underlying feature is an inability to understand that other people have minds, too. Z3MhHvvgp{  
F5+F O^3E  
[B] However, the second study, carried out by Dr Bugnyar when he was working at the University of Austria, and published last month in Animal Cognition, suggests that ravens may M  hW9^?  
have mastered the art of deception too. wO.d;SK  
ah<p_qe9|  
[C] As it happened, Munin was no dummy either. He soon grew wise to the tactic, and would not be led astray. He even stooped to trying to find the food rewards on his own! This made Hugin furious. "He got very angry", says Dr Bugnyar, "and started throwing things around." Perhaps ravens have something else in common with people--a hatred of being found out. [D] Biologists have learned to treat such assertions with caution. In particular, they have found evidence of theories of mind in a range of mammals, from gorillas to goats. But two recent studies suggest that even mammalian studies may be looking at the question too narrowly. Birds, it seems, can have theories of mind, too. %m/lPL  
j;48Yya'  
[E] Dr Heinrich and Dr Bugnyar found that all the birds were able to follow the gaze of the experimenters, even beyond the barrier. &?Erkc~#  
UW}@oP$r  
[F] At first Dr Bugnyar could not believe what he was seeing. He was anxious about sharing his observation, for fear that no one would believe him. But Hugin, he is convinced, was clearly misleading Munin. d 4tL  
!0? B=yA  
[G] The task was to work out which colour-coded film containers held some bits of cheese, then prise the containers open and eat the contents. byE0Z vDM  
                    2gklGDJD  
z&n2JpLY7  
Part C ?fP3R':s  
Directions: h{_\ok C>  
Read the following text carefully and then translate the underlined segments into Chinese. Your translation should be written clearly on ANSWER SHEET 2. (10 points)..... 2o9B >f&g  
    SJX9oVJeZ  
The study of law has been recognized for centuries as a basic intellectual discipline in European universities. However, only in recent years has it become a feature of undergraduate programs in English-Canadian universities. (1) Traditionally, legal learning has been viewed in such institutions as the special preserve of lawyers, rather than a necessary part of the intellectual equipment of an educated person. Happily, the older and more continental view of legal education is establishing itself in a number of Canadian universities and some have even begun to offer undergraduate degrees in law. `-CN\  
    If the study of law is beginning to establish itself as part and parcel of a general education, its aims and methods should appeal directly to journalism educators. Law is a discipline which encourages responsible judgment. On the one hand, it provides opportunities to analyze such ideas as justice, democracy and freedom. (2) On the other, it links these concepts to everyday realities in a manner which is parallel to the links journalists forge on a daily basis as they cover and comment on the news. For example, notions of evidence and fact, of basic rights and public 4a& 8G  
interest are at work in the process of journalistic judgment and production just as in courts of law. (3) Sharpening judgment by absorbing and reflecting on law is a desirable component of a journalist's intellectual preparation for his or her career. Jlb{1B$7  
(4) But the idea that the journalist must understand the law more profoundly than an ordinary citizen turns on an understanding of the established conventions and special responsibilities of the new media. Politics or, more broadly, the functioning of the state, is a major subject for journalists. The better informed they are about the way the state works, the better their reporting will be. In fact, it is difficult to see how journalists who do not have a clear grasp of the basic features of the Canadian Constitution can do a competent job on political stories. "y*3p0E  
  Furthermore, the legal system and the events which occur within it are primary subjects for journalists. (5) While the qualiW of legal iournalism varies greatly, there is an undue reliance amongst many journalists on interpretations supplied to them by lawyers. While comment and reaction from lawyers may enhance stories, it is preferable for journalists to rely on their own notions of significance and make their own judgments. These can only come from a well-grounded understanding of the legal system. ( ./MFf  
Section III   Writing f U=P$s  
51. Directions: AfhJ6cSIE  
Suppose you are in charge of a library in a city. You received a few letters complaining thecrowded condition of your library. Write a letter to one of the complainers which includes the aaf}AIL.  
following points: V:j^!*  
    1) acknowledge the complaints, E<tR8='F  
    2) suggest alternatives to avoid the crowdedness, Eo ^m; p5  
    3) express your appreciation for the comment. "(W;rl  
    You should write about 100 words. Do not sign your own name at the end of the letter. Use "Li Ming" instead. You do not need to write the address. Hmm0H6&u  
Vb#a ,t  
Part B At<MY`ka  
52. Directions: 'OTZ&;7{  
Studythe following cartoon carefully and write an essay of 160--200 words. Your essay should meet the following requirements: e<{ d{  
1) Interpret the meaning of the cartoon; V,VL?J\  
2)give your comments on the phenomenon